My Discovery of the Use of Ballpoint Pen.



As a growing artist, my focus has always been on being experimental. I planned on spending my first 5 years trying out new techniques, also trying out new and unconventional medium, basically testing the waters and seeing what works best for me. Maybe by my 6th year in practise I'd be able to manipulate different mediums and techniques to create my unique style of art.

I spent a year practising with pencils and oil paints. I learnt a lot, still learning.



For months now, I've been coming  across portraits made with just a pen, it seemed painfully difficult to look at. I had so many questions and no answers. It took me weeks to make up my mind to try it and see how it goes or what it entails. I did a quick drawing of my hand. By quick, that is 50+ hours.😊



It wasn't perfect but I saw a lot of loopholes that needed filling. I made mistakes that were very avoidable. And I discovered a lot of short cuts which I manipulated into my second drawing done with a ball point pen.

In the course of these trials and failures, I picked up a lot of lesson. I learnt how to shade to create a blend effect, because in using Pencils Tortillions and Q-tips are used in blending, but you really can't blend pen. One of the short cuts I discovered was using correction fluid or acrylic paint to produce highlight and correct very lowscale mistakes. It was very helpful.

My most recent drawing of Nyane Lebajoa.

Done with Bic Ball point Pen on Embossed card.

The improvement wasn't a lot but its very present and happened in a matter of weeks.
I keep learning from my mistakes and moving towards perfection. Instinct is a very important trait as an experimental artist.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ghosts from the past.

Last Drawings of 2017- "Hatchet".